One of many essential components to contemplate when betting on any UFC bout is the various combating types and strategies of the rivals in query.
For instance, it has lengthy been assumed that MMA athletes coming from a boxing background are at an obstacle in opposition to wrestling or jiu-jitzu consultants contained in the octagon.
However is that this really the case?
We dug deeper into the idea with the intention to set the file straight…
Major combating types
Combined martial arts is in some ways self-explanatory; a combination of a number of fight types all rolled into one.
The game began off as a conflict of types, typically with opponents of starkly contrasting abilities dealing with off in opposition to each other.
The truth is at UFC 1, Royce Gracie’s unimaginable jiu-jitzu abilities had been so new and progressive that even the referee didn’t discover his opponent Ken Shamrock tapping out!
These days are lengthy gone. The sport has modified.
Alongside the mainstream rise of UFC, MMA has advanced past recognition. Elite contenders now must be extraordinarily well-rounded – real final fighters, in the event you like – with a powerful stage of experience in many various disciplines.
That stated, each fighter has his or her base talent. And nonetheless to this present day, the overwhelming majority of fighters will be categorised into one of many following 7 main combating types:
- Brazilian Jiu Jitzu
- Muay Thai and kickboxing
UFC scoring standards
To place these various types right into a betting context, it’s useful to grasp how UFC bouts are scored. As per the official unified guidelines of MMA, there are Four key standards judges ought to prioritise when awarding factors:
- Efficient placing: what number of authorized strikes are landed – related for boxing, muay thai, karate and taekwondo.
- Efficient grappling: what number of profitable takedowns or reversals are achieved – related to wrestling and judo.
- Efficient aggressiveness: has a fighter proven efficient aggressive makes an attempt to complete the battle – that is model agnostic.
- Struggle space management – Who’s dictating the tempo, location and positions within the cage. The fighter shifting ahead to nook his opponent is rewarded right here – this one might sound agnostic, however wrestling is all about dictating the tempo and controlling areas.
So, there are particular ways in which 6 of the 7 main battle types can affect and affect the judges’ scorecards.
The only exception is jiu-jitzu, however this self-discipline is sort of solely liable for submissions, which makes up virtually 40% of UFC stoppages.
It’s wrestling, nevertheless, that guidelines the roost.
When wrestlers transition into MMA, the core strikes that come naturally to them really rating factors contained in the octagon. three of the Four scoring standards are already recurring to any wrestler.
In spite of everything, wrestling is all about controlling your opponent. Obtain a take right down to the mat, and also you get factors in MMA. Management your opponent and preserve them pinned, and also you get much more factors.
Add to that the actual fact wrestlers are used to endurance battles, and are function constructed for a mixture of pace and energy, and there’s little doubt you have got a main combating model that’s excellent for MMA competitors.
Certainly, a fast look on the ESPN graph beneath, tells a compelling story – collated from a huge dataset of 21 years of UFC fights, between 1997-2018.
The info is conclusive. However it’s a few years previous.
Right this moment’s champions
So, as an addendum to carry issues fully updated, we determined to try the present roster of UFC males’s champions and number one contenders, as of July 2020.
There are eight energetic males’s weight divisions, listed here are the present champions and number one contenders – and their dominant main combating types – for every class:
- Champion: Stipe Miocic – wrestling
- No.1 Contender: Daniel Cormier – wrestling
- Champion: Jon Jones – wrestling
- No.1 Contender: Dominick Reyes – wrestling/muay thai
- Champion: Israel Adesanya – muay thai/boxing
- No.1 Contender: Rob Whittaker – wrestling/karate
- Champion: Kamaru Usman – wrestling
- No.1 Contender: Gilbert Burns – wrestling/boxing
- Champion: Khabib Nurmagomedov – wrestling
- No.1 Contender: Justin Gaethje – boxing
- Champion: Alexander Volkanovski – wrestling/muay thai
- No.1 Contender: Max Holloway – muay thai
- Champion: Petr Yan – boxing
- No.1 Contender: Marlon Moraes – muay thai
- Champion: Deivison Figueiredo – wrestling
- No.1 Contender: Joseph Benavidez – wrestling
There are after all additional strings to every of their bows, that’s what has made them elite stage champions.
Jon Jones possesses prime class muay thai abilities and Stipe Miocic is a former regional Golden Gloves champ. One other attention-grabbing anomaly is attacking powerhouse Justin Gaethje, who has an elite stage wrestling background, however insists he tries not to attract on these abilities within the UFC.
General although there’s a compelling pattern among the many present cream of the UFC crop.
And with 11 of the highest 16 ranked fighters possessing wrestling as a main combating model, it reveals that grapplers nonetheless rule the roost.
So, subsequent time you’re weighing up your betting choices for an upcoming UFC occasion, keep in mind wrestling is king. Good luck!